John Wright Restaurant
In 1916 R.P. Wilton built the large warehouse on North Front Street now home to the John Wright Store and Restaurant. Wilton, a foundryman, used bricks from the remains of the nearby Aurora Furnace, a blast furnace that had operated between 1866 and 1886 on a site north of the lime kilns, to build his warehouse.
In 1923 Wilton rented the building to B. Edmund David who installed a silk mill there. David operated nine silk mills, the largest located in Patterson, NJ, known at the time as the “silk city of the world”. When David’s five year lease expired in 1928, he offered to buy the factory from Wilton but was turned down. Instead, David bought the lot across the street and built a brick and cement structure to house his silk mill. David died in 1936, and his family, uninterested in continuing the silk business, sold the property.
Sun-Tues: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Wed-Fri: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm